Work Permit

Canada is one of the strongest economies in the world. Every year many people come to work in Canada to gain experience and live in Canada. Most of these people need a work permit to work in Canada. This work permit can also be very helpful for people who do not fulfill Express Entry or PNP requirements. Another great thing about getting a work permit is that you might be eligible for permanent residency after a certain amount of work experience.

There are two types of work permits a foreign national may be eligible for:

  • employer-specific work permit or
  • open work permit

Applying for a work permit in Canada

The following three steps are generally needed to obtain a work permit:

  1. A job offer
  2. Gather all the documents
  3. Apply for a Work Permit
  1. Get a job offer

To apply for a work permit, a temporary worker needs a job offer letter from a Canadian employer. It explains the details of the job. It includes information about:

  • pay and deductions from pay
  • job duties
  • conditions of employment, such as hours of work

The first step is to find a Canadian employer who is willing to hire a temporary foreign worker. Some people find these employers through websites, recruitment agencies or through a reference like family or friends. You can also obtain a work permit through government-introduced programs like Seasonal Agricultural Worker Program. If your spouse is on a study permit or work permit in Canada, you may be eligible to apply for an open work permit in Canada, which is another category of work permit that allows you to work for any employer in Canada.

  1. Gather all the documents

You need the following documents to apply for a work permit:

  • Proof of identity in form of a passport or travel document and two photos
  • Proof of employment in Canada: For LMIA-exempt work permits, the employer will provide an offer of employment with an Offer of Employment number (begins with the letter “A” and is followed by seven numbers). If you need an LMIA to work, the employer will provide you with a copy of the Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) from ESDC and a copy of an employment contract from your future employer.
  • Proof that you are eligible for the job (for example a valid Canadian provincial or territorial trade certificate, educational requirements or past work experience outlined in a resume)
  • A copy of the Québec Acceptance Certificate (CAQ) from the Ministère de l’Immigration, de la Francisation et de l’Intégration(MIFI), if you plan to work in Québec or will be working in Québec.
  • Proof of relationship by providing a marriage certificate and birth certificates for any accompanying family members. If you are in a common-law relationship and your common-law partner will come with you to Canada fill out the Statutory Declaration of Common-Law Union(IMM 5409). Send proof listed on the form to support your relationship.
  1. Other documents
  • If you are not a citizen of the country or territory where you are applying, you must send proof of your present immigration status in that country or territory.
  • If the government that issued your passport or travel document requires a re-entry permit, you must receive it before you apply for a work permit. Apply for a work permit

Upon getting an LMIA or gathering these documents you can apply for a work permit

There are 2 types of work permits:

1. Employer-specific work permit

An employer-specific work permit lets you work in Canada according to the conditions on your work permit, such as

    • the name of the specific employer you can work for
    • how long you can work
    • the location where you can work (if applicable)

2. Open work permit

An open work permit lets you work for any employer in Canada, except for one that

  • is listed as ineligible on the list of employers who have failed to comply with the conditions, or
  • regularly offers striptease, erotic dance, escort services or erotic massages

You can only get an open work permit in specific situations